Sunday 19 September 2010

How to begin?

How to begin? It seems obvious to begin by making a statement of purpose. To publicise myself. Not myself personally --- that would be clownish --- but my stories, novels, and translations. So other pages will contain extracts from these, including unpublished and unpublishable stuff. But I shall also be posting extracts (or even whole works, if they are short enough) from some of my favourite writers of the past. I shall call this feature "Prose of the Month". In fact, this will be, in a vanity-denying ordinance, the first feature to appear, later this month (September 2010). My ideals of what literature should be will emerge from the choices I make here more clearly than mere critical statements can say. There will be other stuff too, such as my opinions on some of the most celebrated writers of today, most of them not celebrated by me, I should say, and on anything else relevant to the arts. Lastly (I hope I haven't forgotten anything), there will be your comments. Review the work in full, if your patience will stretch to that, or just post an opinion, appreciative or dismissive, as the case may be. Try doing that on most writers' websites!

No comments:

Post a Comment